ok, moms out there, i need your help. i am confessing to a serious lack of quiet time with the Lord. yet, i know that to do anything successfully as a mother and wife, i need Him. so my questions are; when do you do it? in the morning before the kids wake up? at nap time, before bed? HOW do you do it? do you just open up and read? have a devotional book? journal? bible study book? i am really interested in just studying the bible on my own without a book, but am at aloss as to how to do this. any suggestions, tips etc would be greatly appreciated. be as detailed as you want to be. my kids wake up anytime from 7 to 8 am, so i am not keen on getting up at 6:30 to beat the kids at getting up, but i am starting to feel i should.
thank you!
Monday, October 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I understand your struggle. It's usually after 8 (nice huh?) by the time my kids get up, so I try to spend my time in the Word before they are up. If I don't then, I usually won't at all. Somtimes, I have a chance while they're in bed, but I can't always count on it.
I flounder, also, to just study simply on my own. I'd like to hear some ideas. I know it takes discipline. Online Bible is a great source for study. I just need to become a little more familiar with it.
Right now I'm doing a Beth Moore study that the ladies are going though in our church. I love it. I am much more consistent doing something like this. Andy encouraged me (while doing this study) to write one thought each day on a 3x5 card to think on through the day. Also, to formulate something to bring to the worship meeting on Sunday.
for you to think on during worship? or do you share?
thanks for sharing jenica, it is nice to know i am not the only one who struggles, but i really applaud your effort, its hard.
Eryn thank you for being so honest in your sharing. I struggle with this too. Sometimes I do great. Other times...hmmm....not so much.
What works best for me is nap time. My kids are good napers. So I get a good chunk of time in the middle of the day. I don't like to wake up earlier than I have to (which is currently 6 am) so...I don't. I like to use devotional books. I really like stuff by Kay Arthur. When my children where nursing I often used that time to either read scripture or pray and specifically to pray for pregnant and new moms. There are lots of tricks to making time for your devotions you just need to find the one that works for you because then it is most likely to stick.
Haha, no I don't share. Something to think and and offer silently.
I too struggle with this, Eryn, and in the last few months I've just been DYING to spend more time in the Word. I'm still getting up at night to nurse my youngest most nights though, so the early morning thing has not been happening in awhile. But I really, really want it. Just some time of complete quiet. Right now, Simon still takes a morning nap, so I have my time during Seseme Street. :) But if we have something going on in the morning, I don't get to have that time. It just seems like early morning would be the best time for consistency purposes.
I recently read an article by a woman whose children are grown now, and she said that when her children were small, she would leave an open Bible in every room so that as she went about her day, she could at least catch a verse or 2 to meditate on every hour or so. She said that it was all she could do, and so she grasped at that at least.
I have been doing something similar to Jenica...I always write a verse from what I read on a 3x5 card to look at throughout the day. We were challenged at church recently to let the "Word of God dwell in you RICHLY"...and this made me stop and think. How much of the Word am I getting into my heart? I think a couple verses a day is pretty meager pickings! But it is a start.
Also, when choosing what to read, I've really benefitted from the Read Thru the Bible in a Year schedules. I'm also a part of a women's study at church on the book of Ephesians, and we are studying that without a book (just with the Bible and reference material). But I usually leave STUDYING to nap time, and my QUIET TIME for the morning to see what the Lord has for me that day.
If you're not doing either right now, I encourage you to start with having a QUIET TIME, time where you just read the Word, meditate on it, and pray. More than anything, the Lord desires a relationship with you, to increase your love and appreciation of Him.
Hope this helps! I desire more consistency myself. :)
thanks so much rachel. i had a sunday school teacher who used to tell us to at LEAST read a few verses a day if not more because God can teach you in those few verses. it has stuck with me for many years, but i feel i should be doing more than a couple of verses. i love the idea of writing verses on a notecard and carrying it with me or leaving an open bible in every room. thanks so much. and i did get to have a short quiet time today and it was really nice.
Hi Eryn!
This has been a lifelong struggle for me ... I'm like a YoYo dieter when it comes to being consistent in the Word. Right now what works is getting up BEFORE the kids - which just like you means by 6:30 - I hate getting up so early but once I'm up and have my coffee and quiet time it is all worth it!
I am doing a book study called "A woman after God's own heart" by Elizabeth George ... there is a book to read and a study guide with questions, scripture to memorize and look up, etc... It has been wonderful so far. Then i spend some time writing prayer and praise items in a journal and praying for them.
I wish there were another time of day but I've found that the days I miss in the morning and say "oh, I'll do it later in the day..." it NEVER gets done! So, I just need to do it first thing in order to keep my commitment.
(I have also been known to write lots of verses and/or words of wisdom and plaster them all over my kitchen cabinets and fridge - it's nice to have them as a reminder right in front of my face throughout the day!)
Hope you find something that works well for you. I'll think of you when I'm up at 6:30 tomorrow! :)
thanks kathy, but i do admit i did not get up at 6:30. both of my kids ended up in bed with me before 4:00in the morning. i know, just another excuse. but thanks for thinking of me. they are both playing happily upstairs right now, so i might run to my room and read. thanks so much everyone, this has really helped and given me motivation and accountability.
Hey Eryn~
This is a HUGE hurdle of mine as well...sometimes even having the desire is the struggle, let alone fitting that desire into my day/week. I've never been a good studier, so that makes it that much harder. I would love to familiarize myself w/ scripture, so if anyone has some good ideas on that, I would really appreciate it.
Beth Moore is an amazing author and teacher. I've worked through part of her book on Isiah and would love to finish it if anyone is looking to do a study together and hold each other accountable.
Thanks for bein vulnerable and transparent. I'm so thankful for you and our friendship.
Erin Moore
Post a Comment