Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Saucepan Oatmeal Cookies

Shawna's recipe looked so good, it reminded me how much I love these simple, delicious cookies. (also made of oatmeal)

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups quick cooking rolled oats
11/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 well beaten eggs
1/2 cup coconut, chopped (optional) i take this out and add 1 tsp cinnamon.

Grease a coookie sheet: set aside. In a medium saucepan combine butter and sugars. Cooke and stir over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat.Add oats, flour, baking soda and powder and salt.( and cinnamon) Stir until combined. Add eggs, mix well. If desired, add coconut.
Drop batter by rounded teaspoons 3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet, stirring the batter often.
Bake in a 375 oven for 6-7 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

These cookies are best right out of the oven. You can also drizzle chocolate over them. Heat up 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 1 Tablespoon shortning, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

Shawna said...

yummy!

Anonymous said...

Are you girls craving oatmeal? =)

Shawna said...

it is very soothing!

Laurel said...

Mmmmm! Those sound yummy!

All I have are steel cut oat right now... think I'll have to go to the store soon so I can try these great recipes. :-)

Laurel said...

They're delicious!

I have to admit to a revision, though. I'm such a chocolate fiend (and haven't had any in like... 3 days!), so at the last minute I decided to add a 1/4 cup of cocoa to the butter and sugars before I added the other dry ingredients.

Next time, I'll make them without the cocoa, but I just couldn't resist. And they make yummy Saucepan Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, too. :-)

Eryn said...

mmmm! i made these yesterday, my kids LOVE them and i took them to my parents and they begged me to leave as many as i could. i love adding extra cinnamon.

The Moore Family said...

Yummy...getting ready to go try them now. I LOVE anything w/ oatmeal.