Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Summary of Our Trip (Pictures to be Posted Later)

Just some highlights to wet your whistle:
I had a total of 3 nights without sleep.
Snow, snow and more snow. We tried several campgrounds, closed for the season, found one, got stuck in the snow. Nice cowboy stopped and chained his truck to our RV, pulled us out. James caught 15 in. trout at boyhood campground.
John and Ruths: Dad and James tiled their floor. The kids could be found every morning in the "hot bathtub"(hot tub) with grandma Ruth. Hiked to Table Rock and dinosaur prints. Lost Ella.(she was found in a neighbors house, playing happily). Patrick got sick. Patrick felt better and attended the Mission Kindergarten. Ella got bit in the face by a dog. (she's ok). Ella gets sick, Autumn gets sick, I get sick. Autumn decides sleep is overrated and declares no sleep for parents either! Go rock hunting for petrified wood and other "treasures".Rain and Snow. All the kids are sick. Scrounge medicine from others because Mom didn'tpack any. Leave Mission
Trip Home: Tour the 3 Natural Bridges in Utah. Hike to one, climb the 160ft. bridge with James (illegal by the way, but we climbed the side without the sign.That makes it ok, right?)Spend the night in Canyonlands National Park. Climb the rocks (boulders, mountain) the next morning.
Drive through Colorado. Have to detour on 70, big accident in tunnel. Detour by ski slopes. Head up mountain pass. Hit big snowstorm. Try to turn around(go down mountain). Big rigs stuck, putting on chains, jackknifed, a real mess. Turn around AGAIN! going back up the mountain. Snow storm is picking up. white out conditions. Pray. Go very slowly. Jump out of RV and bang on ice on windshield wipers.Watch truck in front slip and slide. See car with tire blown out after slamming into side of snowed mountain. See truck with back windshield blown out because of winds.Finally get to top of mountain! and head sllllowlly down. Whew! We made it. It was a tricky and tense 2 hours.Dad has great driving skills. Finally make it to Denver, 3 hours late, to have dinner with Beka, Jonny's girlfriend. Continue ride home. Riding up front with Dad. He points at the back. Ella is standing in the bathroom (RV, remember) with water pouring out of the sink, on the floor. Only when I get back there, I think "where did she get all that lipstick?", not lipstick;blood. She is covered.Hands, face, shirt. See my razor. She was trying to shave her lips. One cut on top lip, two on bottom. Not serious. Cleaned up child and water. Explain girls don't shave faces. Hide razor.
Hours later: HOME SWEET HOME.

10 comments:

Shawna said...

oh.my.word.

what is it with that girl and bathrooms after bed time?

I can't wait to hear and see in more detail.

:)

Anonymous said...

OH MY!!! can't wait for pics. Glad you are home, safe and sound.

Laurel said...

Wowsers! Glad you all made it! And looking forward to seeing pictures... lots of Mission pictures, please. :-D

bandanachick said...

OH MY GOODNESS!
I can't believe you survived, I would have lost my mind.
Sounds like you need a break, after vacation!

Rachel said...

Simon did that recently too, shaved off a big chunk of lip. :( He didn't seem to notice, even though there was tons of blood.

I'm sure you're glad to be home. :)

Reagan said...

What a wild and crazy trip!

The Moore Family said...

Holy crap...what else is there to say!!!

Michelle said...

WOW! I can't wait to see pics.

jenica said...

I'm sure it's even more nerve racking driving a rv in that.
Sounds exhausting. Hope you recover.

Anonymous said...

no mention of mom in all of this. am i invisible.?!