Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Glazed Apple Cookies

What to do when your child comes home with a bag of apples from his field trip and your husband requests cookies? Find an apple cookie recipe! And this one is awesome and easy.
1/2 cup shortning
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 ts salt
1 ts cinnamon
1/2 ts cloves
1/4 ts nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup apples-peeled, cored and finely diced ( this is about 2 med. sized apples)
1 cup raisins (optional)
1/4 cup milk

1 1/2 powdered sugar
1 tbls butter, melted
1/2 ts vanilla
2 1/2 tbls half and half cream

1. Beat shortning and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and blend thoroughly.
2. Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in separate bowl.
3. Stir half of dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, apple and raisins, then stir in remaining dry ingredients and milk. Mix well.
4. Drop from tablespoon 1 1/2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies to racks and while still warm, spread with glaze.
5. To make glaze: Combine powdered sugar, butter and vanilla and enough cream to make glaze of spreading consistency. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cookies.

I did not have the cream for the glaze, so I just used milk instead. Worked great! I even forgot to add the egg until the very end and they still turned out. Very Yummy and perfect for those fall days.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow those cookies sound sooo good...will be trying that recipe:)

Laurel said...

Sounds yummy!

Michelle said...

Looks yummy! That wouldn't work in our house though, because my husband doesn't eat fruit of all things. I guess I'd just have to make him a separate batch. The kids and I would eat the apple ones.

Yeah, I guess my posts come in waves. Hopefully I'll be able to keep updating. How's life with three kids coming along?

Eryn said...

michelle (heller)! i need your blog name please, so i can link to it.

Michelle said...

sure! its mylittlelifeinlittlerock.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Did Patrick love his first field trip? Did you get to go?